Travel the Caribbean safely at any age …
An increasing number of retirees are adventure travelers, boldly going to isolated corners of the world. And why would you not? At a time where GPS, cell phones and the internet enable you to call for help and share your precise location instantaneously, you can travel to medically under-served parts of the globe with peace-of-mind. Gone are the days of needing a paper map and a land line, to be safe when you travel around the Caribbean.
Another modern convenience in which to have confidence is medical service with AeroMD, headquartered on St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Their streamlined aircraft can reach you most anywhere in the Caribbean in a matter of hours. Even when medical airlift is not necessary, the AeroMD team can provide exceptional on-site medical services when travelling to a remote or medically under-served location.
This opens up an opportunity to travel at any age, even if you have a medical condition. So if you have been hesitating about yachting again this season, do not let your health get in the way of living your life to the fullest. If you have always wanted to bring an older relative or friend aboard a yacht in the Caribbean, there is renewed ability to do so with a medical contingency plan in place. The services AeroMD offers yacht owners, their crew and guests extend beyond medevac, to include first-aid training for crews, physician directed telemedicine and more.
If you are in good shape, you can feel empowered to comfortably assume the same amount of risk you would at home, as you choose your Caribbean travel excursions and activities. Ride the zip line in Antigua, climb the waterfalls in Jamaica, and jump off the pier in St. Croix, if you wish. Know that high-quality medical care is available to you should you need it.
USA Today Named the Top 10 Caribbean Destinations for Adventure:
- Dominican Republic – A favorite destination for people who live in the Caribbean, the Dominican Republic offers adventure opportunity on one of the least expensive islands for travel. The DR is known for its beautiful mountainous topography. Combine that with caves, waterfalls and rivers and the stage is set for adventure. You can climb said waterfalls, bike down mountains or enjoy a zipline through a rainforest with monkeys.
- Haiti – Give Haiti a chance to recover from Hurricane Matthew before making a visit. But this idyllic island has much to offer adventure-seekers. The La Visite National Park is a perfect place for hiking. Prepare for mountainous horseback rides and more eye-popping waterfalls.
- Dominica – For nature lovers, Dominica has a reputation as an unspoiled, untouched paradise. More waterfalls and rainforest on this paradisal island craft hiking trails for all skill levels. The snorkeling is also some of the best in the Caribbean.
- Bonaire – A scuba diver’s dream, Bonaire has carefully preserved its beautiful dive sites over the years. The island is a treat for rock-climbing and rappelling too.
- Puerto Rico – A huge island with so much to explore, Puerto Rico has something for every adventurer. Mountain climb through the Cordillera Central, go off-roading with an ATV tour or take the leap and go hang-gliding.
- Ambergris Caye (Belize) – Known as a phenomenal diving destination, Belize is another inexpensive place to travel. Look forward to wild adventures, like riding a tube down a river in a cave with historical significance for the Mayans.
- Vieques (Puerto Rico) – A small island off the shore of Puerto Rico’s mainland, Vieques is a remote treat in comparison to busy San Juan. Be sure to kayak the bioluminiscent bay while it still exists (they are easily lost to light pollution). Mountain bike through Vieques National Wildlife Refuge, another signature activity.
- Tobago – Yet another haven for snorkelers and scuba divers, the giant stingrays at Manta Reef are not to be missed on Tobago. Equestrians can look forward to more horseback adventures in the mountains.
- Saba – Another top pick of Caribbean residents is the friendly island of Saba. It boasts spectacular beaches, awesome hiking options and interesting dive sites as depths plunge near the shoreline.
- Barbados – A great island for spotting and swimming with giant sea turtles (check out Soup Bowl Beach), Barbados has something for everyone. Add deep sea fishing to your list while visiting this gorgeous island.
As AeroMD is based in the U.S. Virgin Islands with an office on St. Thomas and aircraft on St. Croix, we are partial to some of our adventure attractions. From watching humpback whales make their crossing past St. Croix, to riding an ATV through the subtropical rain forest, there is something here for everyone.
And just in case, AeroMD has a plane waiting on-island should you have a medical emergency. Particularly for Caribbean snowbirds, AeroMD memberships are a great fit. Coverage starts at as low as $25 per month for a couple, which includes airlift to medical facilities on the U.S. mainland.